Skin care advertisements play on our desire to feel beautiful.
An attractive face tempts us to buy a product with promise of a “radiant complexion” or “aging less.”
But do they always deliver?
These days fewer people are using prescription skin care products. Dermatologist visits and prescriptions aren’t covered by insurance – and aren’t always cost effective. Cosmeceuticals evolved to fill the gap between prescription and over-the-counter skin care products.
But there's a problem. New skin care products and ingredients are introduced so often that even dermatologists have a hard time keeping up. So as a consumer, it is really hard to know if a product works.
Sometimes companies sell skin care products that damage skin and cause premature aging. The best way to protect your skin is to know which active skin care ingredients create beautiful skin.
So What Is a Cosmeceutical?
A cosmeceutical is a cosmetic product with a specific amount of an active ingredient. That ingredient has been scientifically proven to have a beneficial effect on the structure or function of the skin.
Here Is What Dermatologists Look for in Cosmeceuticals:
Dr. Albert Kligman, considered the father of cosmeceuticals, came up with some questions to evaluate the effectiveness of a cosmeceutical.
- Does the active skin care ingredient penetrate the skin? Is the amount of the ingredient enough to reach the target in the skin and create the desired change?
- Does the active skin care ingredient change the structure or function of the skin?
- Are there published, peer reviewed, double blind, placebo-controlled, statistically significant studies (considered the gold standard in studies) to prove that the active skin care ingredient works?
Because new ingredients are introduced so frequently, the Kligman questions haven’t been answered for most active skin care ingredients.
- Niaciniamide passes Dr. Kligman’s test.
- Retinoic Acid / prescription Vitamin A has been tested extensively and passed the test.
- Retinol / over-the-counter Vitamin A is not as well researched.
- Peptides haven’t been proven to penetrate the skin, yet studies show they change skin.
- Drinking green tea (shown in the illustration above) is very beneficial because of all its antioxidants. However, there aren’t many studies to verify the effectiveness of green tea when applied to skin. It’s entirely possible that green tea prevents skin aging, but doesn’t reverse signs of aging – which is harder to show in studies.
In short, use the Kligman questions as a guideline for your research. Cosmeceuticals are expensive. Spend your money on active skin care ingredients that work!
Here at Masterpiece Skin Restoration, we like the award winning SkinCeuticals cosmeceutical line because they have clinical studies to back their products.
Our registered nurse does research on active skin care ingredients to share with our readers. We add new posts each month. Here are a few you're sure to like:
Masterpiece Skin Restoration is your online resource for all things medical aesthetics, skincare, beauty, and wellness. We keep you up to date on leading edge technology and the services available to help you restore your natural beauty.
We have all the information you need to restore your skin.
Thanks for reading!
If you liked this post, you'll LOVE these:
The Information provided on our website is not medical advice and should not be viewed as such. By law, only a medical doctor can diagnose or give medical advice. As a registered nurse, my goal is to educate, so I provide information on skin care, skin care products, and skin care treatments. If you have any condition that concerns you, please see a medical doctor. While most skin conditions are benign, some – like melanoma – can be deadly. If there is any doubt, please, please consult your physician. Thank you!
Masterpiece Skin Restoration is a participant in the Rakuten Marketing Affiliate program. If you click on one of the Rakuten links, then make a purchase, we earn a percentage of that purchase. Rakuten Marketing affiliate links allow us to earn money by recommending products we LOVE. There is no added cost to you!
Because customer service is our highest priority, we only recommend and link to products that we believe in. As always, thank you for supporting Masterpiece Skin Restoration!