Good Skin Care in Fort Collins
Our Colorado climate is dry and very sunny. (We get one less day of sun each year than Miami!) The high altitude here makes our sun even more intense.
Because of these “high desert” conditions, your skin care routine needs to be different from someone who lives in a different climate.
Here Are Some of the Best Things You Can Do For Your Skin if You Live in Fort Collins
- Drink plenty of water. Dehydration shows quickly in your skin.
- Wear a hat. Hats provide shade and shade is the best protection from sun damage.
- Wear 100% UV rated sunglasses. Not only do sunglasses protect your eyes from UV rays – they also protect the skin around your eyes from sun damage (crow’s feet).
- Daily Sunscreen. The best sunscreen only blocks about 55% of the sun’s damaging rays. It’s not as much as you would hope, but it is a LOT better than nothing. To keep your skin looking its best, a broad spectrum SPF 30 or higher sunscreen is essential. The most effective sunscreens use titanium dioxide and zinc oxide to reflect the sun’s harmful rays. For the best result you’ll need to reapply every couple of hours. Some formulations are available in a powder form that make them easy to reapply. Learn more in our post, Sunscreen – Why You Need More UVA Protection.
- CE Ferulic by SkinCeuticals. This is the gold standard in antioxidants and has evidence based studies to prove that it works. CE Ferulic steps in to arrest sun damage where sunscreen leaves off. It is for the 45% of the sun’s rays that sunscreens miss. Vitamins C and E speed up collagen production (which reduces wrinkles) and increase your skin’s own natural ability to fight sun damage. The ferulic acid steps it up a notch. It is antioxidant based sun protection. CE Ferulic is expensive, but can be applied every 72 hours. The manufacturer says even when applying it every 3 days, you still get great protection and the bottle should last about 6 months. Learn more in our blog posts, Vitamins C and E for Skin and SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic | Why It's Won 35 Beauty Awards.
- Moisturizer. Good skin care in our dry Fort Collins climate should include a moisturizer made for your skin type (oily, dry, combination, etc.). You may need to experiment to find the one that works best for your skin. Generally, thicker formulas are better for dry skin. If your skin is oily, try formulations that are thin and say “non-comedogenic” (meaning they won’t cause acne). Learn more in our blog post about Moisturizers. Oh, and don’t forget to use humidifiers in the winter!
- Use a Retinoid Nightly. There are over 700 published studies that have proven how good these skincare products are for skin. Retinoids are a form of Vitamin A that speed up collagen production (which reduces wrinkles) and even out skin tone. If you have dark spots on your skin, they will reduce them. The higher the percentage of retinol (the over the counter version), the better the result. It is very important to use sunscreen when using retinoids. They're inactivated by the sun, so they won’t have any effect if you don’t use sunscreen. This is also why manufacturer’s instructions recommend them for nightly use. Learn more in our post, Want Younger Looking Skin? 3 Ways Retinoids Make Your Skin Beautiful.
I recommend these products for both men and women because they work. I use them myself.
I put C E Ferulic on my kids. I would use retinol on them, but they’re too little. (Retinol use should start in your twenties.) Apply the products to your face, neck, chest and the back of your hands to keep skin healthy and beautiful! And remember – ALWAYS start new skin care products one at a time, about a week apart, to make sure you don’t get a reaction.
Masterpiece Skin Restoration is your online resource for all things medical aesthetics, skincare, beauty, and wellness. We keep you up to date on leading edge technology and the services available to help you restore your natural beauty.
We have all the information you need to restore your skin.
Thanks for reading!
If you liked this post, you'll LOVE these:
The Information provided on our website is not medical advice and should not be viewed as such. By law, only a medical doctor can diagnose or give medical advice. As a registered nurse, my goal is to educate, so I provide information on skin care, skin care products, and skin care treatments. If you have any condition that concerns you, please see a medical doctor. While most skin conditions are benign, some - like melanoma - can be deadly. If there is any doubt, please, please consult your physician. Thank you!
Masterpiece Skin Restoration is a participant in the Rakuten Marketing Affiliate program. If you click on one of the Rakuten links, then make a purchase, we earn a percentage of that purchase. Rakuten Marketing affiliate links allow us to earn money by recommending products we LOVE. There is no added cost to you!
Because customer service is our highest priority, we only recommend and link to products that we believe in. As always, thank you for supporting Masterpiece Skin Restoration!